CFSBK got its start in September of 2007 at St. Mary’s Playground, under the elevated F/G tracks that run along Smith Street. We made use of homemade sandbags, an old tire, and a jungle gym that has since been removed in the park’s renovation. We’ve come a long way since then! Check out this fun Flickr album from the Park Daze, which was recently unearthed from the CFSBK Archives (Coach David’s old computer).
This Week at CFSBK in Review
1. At CFSBK most of our classes are led by more than one coach. How does our coaching staff work together? Part 4 of CrossFit Journal’s series on our Group Class Coaching Expectations provides some of the answers!
2. Mer R. is going to DC for work for a while (*sniff*) and is looking to sublet her apartment at the start of January. It’s a large quiet one bedroom in Park Slope with a separate study, good light, laundry in the building and shared backyard. Most importantly, it’s just a half mile from the gym! Email her at mr3340 [at] nyu.edu for more details.
3. On Tuesday, we brought you a GHD how-to video guest starring gym pups Molly and Tucker Fox! Now you know how to develop those glutes and hams while getting some much needed pet therapy.
4. Hey, speaking of gym pups, be sure to reserve your 2018 Dogs of CFSBK Calendar! All proceeds go to PupStarz Rescue, a foster rescue started by our own Robyn O’Brien. Both the desk calendar and wall calendar are available for a sliding scale cash donation of $30-60 or more. See yesterday’s post for order info!
5. The most recent installment of CrossFit Journal‘s Inside CFSBK series focuses on our guiding principles. As Coach David explains in this awesome video, we strive to be professional, inclusive, and effective. Watch the video to find out what that means in practice!
6. CFSBK and the whole NYC fitness community lost a legend. Joe Gazio, who many members knew as our Friday evening Olympic weightlifting coach over the summer, recently passed away after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. To learn more about Coach Joe and the lives he touched, read Wednesday’s post.
Yesterday’s Results Board: Power Snatch | Deadlifts, Double-Unders
Do Dogs Need Winter Coats? NY Times
Technique and Strength in the Martial Arts Starting Strength