Work up to a heavy triple with no misses.
Behind-the-Neck Snatch Push Press + 2 Overhead Squats
Work up to a medium-heavy complex with no misses. If you cannot perform a mature Overhead Squat, instead sub 3 Behind-the-Neck Snatch Push Presses @ 31X3 tempo with a weight you can control and move perfectly with.
Post loads to comments.
Week 2 of 2
Post work to comments.
View this post on Instagram
Our 2020 Dogs of CFSBK calendar benefitting Pupstarz Rescue is now available at the front desk! We do this calendar every year and 100% of the proceeds to to helping dogs in shelters find permanent homes and escape being euthanized. Save pups by looking at cute pups all year. It’s a win-win! Photography by @aaronweiss and @robert1er
The 2020 Look Feel Perform Better Challenge
It’s that time of year again… New Year’s Resolution time. While we believe it’s best to make choices in accordance with your goals and values all of (or at least most of) the time, we recognize that many of us use markers like the beginning of the year to kickstart positive changes. This year’s Look, Feel, Perform Better Challenge will follow a similar model to last year. There are two levels that you can choose to participate in. On Level 1 you’ll focus primarily on food quality and eating from a large spectrum of whole foods (lean proteins, veggies and fruits, whole grains and legumes, and healthy fats). This is a perfect place to start if you’re new to healthy eating or are want to revisit what that means for you. On Level 2 you’ll add the practice of portion control, focusing on eating appropriate (for you) servings of lean proteins, smart carbs, veggies, and healthy fats.
While this year’s Challenge is a few weeks shorter than the 12 weeks we’ve done in recent years (in 2020 we’re providing a 10-week format) this is NOT a “get fit quick” plan. The reason we run longer challenges than many other gyms (and, admittedly, like we used to) is that while extreme behavior changes can bring rapid results, we’ve almost always seen this followed up by a “crash,” where participants rebel against the limiting factors of an extreme or restrictive diet. We’d rather you have more inclusive food options and change a few small, manageable things over a longer period, than to change many things for 30 days only to get lost in a haze of bagels, beer, and chocolate cake once the challenge ends.
The entire CrossFit South Brooklyn Community!
A 10 week challenge meant as a collective kickstart toward healthier nutrition and recovery habits in the new year.
Right where you are! But, also:
- Come to the CFSBK Potluck on February 8th!
- Participants are encouraged to organize “rest day dinners”, either in homes or at restaurants, with fellow LFPBers.
- You’ll have access to the private 2020 LFPB Challenge Facebook Group.
- Attend our weekly (dates listed below—these are not mandatory but helpful) webinars to help keep you inspired and to answer any questions that come up along the way. You spoke and we listened so this year we are NOT using Facebook for the webinars, which means you won’t have to choose between missing them and reneging on your decision to stay off the social media monster. We’ll instead be using Zoom. Can’t attend? They’ll be archived and you’ll have access to them throughout the challenge.
- The key to success is generally not to make sweeping changes, but rather to consistently practice the small stuff each day. With that in mind, consider scheduling some time now to set aside each day where you can work towards your goals
This year the Challenge will run from Monday, January 13th through Sunday, March 22nd. And get ready to get your chef on, because we’ll also be hosting a potluck dinner at the gym on Saturday, February 8th. where you can meet and greet with fellow CFSBKers and sample some of the delicious ways they make healthy food choices.
To look, feel, and perform better! And, for some sweet prizes!
Wait, did you say prizes? Yes. The grand prize for both the men’s and women’s category is one month of FREE unlimited training at CFSBK, a $250+ value! There are also 2nd and 3rd place prizes for the men’s and women’s categories including a punch card or free specialty classes at CFSBK and a personal training session!
I’m interested. What will I need? For Level 1, only an openness and willingness to learn how to make more informed and healthier food choices. For Level 2, the same but you’ll also need hands! You’ll be “measuring” portions of lean protein, smart carbs, veggies, and healthy fats using your hands as your very own personalized portion control guide. Whichever level you choose, we will all benefit from doing a bit of food shopping and prep beginning the first week to make better-for-you food choices easier to make. Like we mention above, this isn’t a get-fit-quick scheme, it’ll require effort on your part. Not everyone can be an Iron Chef, but unless you have a full time cook at home, you’ll be doing some basic work in your kitchen.
Most people will achieve great results and remain more sane on Level 1. There’s no sense mowing your lawn if your house is on fire…we all need to take care of the big stuff (like eating high quality, whole foods) before digging into the small stuff (like weighing out foods, counting macros, or taking supplements). If you’re already consistently making quality food choices, then you may benefit from paying more attention to portions. If you’re not sure which way to go, choose Level 1.
Alright, you’re in? Great!
How To Participate
While the official start date is January 13th, 2020, you must complete the following steps by January 17th to be eligible for prizes:
- Sign your name on the big ole LFPB Challenge List in the front desk area of the gym at 597.
- Sign up and pay at the front desk or in the CFSBK Online Store ($100 total plus NY tax).
- Answer a few brief questions and submit your “before” photos according to the guidelines on the Look, Feel, Perform Better portal. These entries are private will not be published without your consent. You can access the 2020 LFPB Challenge Entry Form HERE.
- Join the 2020 LFPB Challenge Facebook Group
- Perform the LFPB Capacity Tests (programmed for our CrossFit group classes on Saturday, January 11th) and record your results. Or, if you prefer, use any other performance metrics that you find value in as long as you can retest them in 10 weeks.
- Set up your Tracker Sheet and begin tracking points earned daily and weekly reflections based on how well you’re able to practice the guidelines and/or what else came up for you.
- Complete your Post Challenge Submission by Friday, March 27th at the end of the Challenge.
- Participate in weekly Virtual Classroom Sessions! We listened to popular request to move these away from Facebook, so they’ll be held on the Zoom platform this year. Each session will include a brief topical lecture alongside a live chat. They’ll be held on Mondays from 1:10pm until about 1:40pm on the following dates: 1/13, 1/20, 1/27, 2/3, 2/10, 2/17, 2/24, 3/2, 3/9, 3/16 (may be subject to change, we’ll give advance notice if so).
You can find more info (including Level 1 and 2 guidelines) at the Look, Feel, Perform Better Challenge page or via the widget on the sidebar to the right!
New Year’s Schedule
We’ll be running on a modified schedule tomorrow and Wednesday for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Everything you need to know can be found on the Schedule page!