1 Mile Run
1 Mile Run
In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005. This workout was one of Mike’s favorites and he’d named it “Body Armor.” It is now referred to as “Murph” in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is. Partition the Pull-Ups, Push-Ups, and Squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you’ve got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.
Post time and Rx to comments.
Week 2 of 2
Murph Day 2019 Is Here!
All regularly scheduled classes (including AM Open Gym) are cancelled today for Murph Day. Here’s all the other important stuff you need to know!
- If you’d like to learn more about Michael Murphy and the origins of “Murph,” this is a great place to start.
- A record 211 of you are registered to do “Murph” today. If you decide not to do it at the last minute, please delete your name from the spreadsheet so someone else can take your place.
- Since there’s no charge for this workout (the class won’t be deducted from your weekly limit), we suggest that you make a $20 (or more!) donation to K9s for Warriors in lieu of class payment. Thanks to all who have donated! We’ll have a kiosk set up to accept donations at the gym today.
- For scaling options and game plans, see Coach Fox’s very useful post, “Murph Is For Everybody.”
- Shooting to get on the leaderboard for “Murph”? You’ll have to do it in a weighted vest (20/14 lbs), and be sure to let a coach know that you’re going for it before your heat starts.
- CFSBK will provide a keg, burgers, and sausages, but please bring more delicious foods, especially side dishes!
Dancer Honors Late Brother, a Veteran, on Memorial Day CNN (video)
10 Things to Remember About Memorial Day Mental Floss
Life changing brisket.
Keith Walter says
Thanks! Tom and I loved making it for you all.
Okay, okay, okay, I didn’t chicken out this year.
56:58, no vest but otherwise Rx. I didn’t lose all that weight just to put it back on again.
Gonna eat all the things now.
Daniel R says
+1 that brisket was a-ma-zing
54min and change, full volume but no vest. Came with a 1/2 Murph plan, but everything was feeling great by round 10, so decided to do the whole thing. Everything wasn’t feel so good by round 13, but there was no turning back at that point. I think this is a 2min PR or something.
I really love this day and how the community comes together for it. Was so much fun to stick around and watch a bunch of people do it throughout the morning.
Hope tomorrow’s workout involves a foam roller.
Kate F says
Thank you Jess Fox for saving my workout today! My hair tie broke in the third round and Jess got me a new one. And I’d also like to thank the brisket, I will Rx next year if we can have it again
Did 1/2 Murph (with Ring rows, modified pushups) in 39.19.Feel good. Going for 3/4 next year! Brisket was beyond. Some of the best I’ve ever had. Who should I thank?
Hahahahaha- thanks for all the love everyone… stay hungry!