Eat, Pray, Gainz: Coconut Red Lentil Curry
By Whitney Hubbard
Our latest installment of EPG comes from a guest chef… Coach Whit! This vegan recipe makes 6-10 servings, depending on how much you eat! Taken as 8 servings, they’ll each be about 225 calories with 14 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat, and 27 grams of carbohydrate (10g fiber). See hacks below for how to up the protein on this one.
- 3 medium carrots
- 5 celery stalks
- 1 onion
- Olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp red curry paste (I use Maesri brand)
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can light coconut milk
- 1-3 cups water
- 14 oz red lentils (can work with anywhere from 12-16 oz, but macros listed for 14)
- Chop carrots into half moons, relatively thin
- Slice celery stalks down center and roughly chop
- Chop onion
- Rinse the lentils and pick over for small stones
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onion and cook over medium-high heat until starting to soften, 3-5 minutes.
- Add celery and carrot and allow to cook 8-10 min, stirring occasionally so nothing burns.
- Add 1-2 tbsp red curry paste and stir to combine… more = spicier.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, and at least 1 cup of water, then add lentils.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer until lentils are very soft, about 20-30 min. Stir occasionally to make sure the bottom isn’t burning.
- You made want to add up to 1 cup of additional water if it’s getting very thick but the lentils aren’t soft, yet.
- Optional to add salt and pepper to taste. The curry has great flavor on it’s own!
- You can add other spices to make this more exciting, but the red curry paste pictured is more than enough flavor for me. Last time I added a few teaspoons of turmeric… delicious!
- Bump up the protein by adding your favorite source! I love this as breakfast with eggs on top or for lunch/dinner with a big dollop of greek yogurt or handful of shrimp. I’ve heard chicken is also great…
- To bump up the carbs post-workout, just heap the lentils over a serving of rice or quinoa.
- Fancy garnish ideas chopped scallions and chopped peanuts work well, or use sliced avocado if you need to bump up your fat (or use full fat coconut milk).
- I make a big pot of this on Sunday and have enough for a whole week for two people. It’s a great recipe if you have multiple mouths to feed or want to share with friends. If you don’t think you’ll want 8 servings, simply cut the recipe in half OR freeze half in ziplock bags until you’re ready for more!
News and Notes
- Fit 55+ begins its expanded schedule this week! Class will now meet on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 11am.
- Our beloved Jaclyn K. is moving to Philly to attended Physical Therapy school. As a result, there will be no longer be 9am Yoga classes on Thursdays as of this week. Congrats, JK—we’ll miss you!
Yesterday’s Whiteboard: Press | Power Snatch, Wall Balls, Pull-Ups
The Body Is Not a Computer Gizmodo
The Last Light Before Eternal Darkness Kurzgesagt
David Osorio says
Back Rack Reverse Lunges
Heavier than last week. Perform 6 reps on one leg, rack the bar, then perform 6 reps on the other. The last few reps of each set should be tough.
Post loads to comments.
Exposure 4 of 8
30 Minutes Not for Rounds:
If you're feeling pretty good after a few rounds then attempt a max set of muscle ups, stopping a rep shy of a miss.
30 Minutes Not for Rounds:
3-10 Ring Dips
:10-:20 Ring Support
20-30 Double-Unders or 40-60 Singles
Scale the Dips to the Matador or to Push-Ups as needed. Scale the Ring Support to a support where feet can touch the floor to take as much load off as needed. Scale the Doubles to half attempts or Singles as needed.
Both the Fitness and Performance versions of today's conditioning should be performed at around 75-85% intensity. Today's programming should be challenging and, as it's not "for time" or "for rounds," can be used as an opportunity to dial in some higher skill gymnastics positions without the demands of the clock. Enjoy!
Post work to comments.
K HarpZ says
Yesterday: first day on new programming! #yay
Encouraged/recommended that I do performance care. No problems there. So deciding which performance care to do. Going with Bulletproof Body and probably going to transition to #thickpack in June. Because it's for a good cause and I want meaty abs.
Day 1 of BP body:
3 rds for quality:
10 thoracic rotations
5 yoga push-up
5 light squat and press
Establish max one arm db press
10 on L/ 8 on R @35#
**this felt unnecessarily heavy today. Not surprised. I've been off track for awhile now so this is good to know. Excited to finally get back into consistent training
WOD: 5 RFT, moving as fast as possible:
1 power snatch, AHAP
5 OHS, AHAP
10 burpee BJO @ 30"
*2 min rest between rounds*
All completed at 125#, the kicker was that you weren't allowed to move your feet after the power snatch into the OHS. So if I starfished, OHS was a no go. This kept me more conservative and true to my form. You were also supposed to go as hard as you can, obviously I started to red line around round 4. It sucked. That 30" box jump became high way too fast. Never have had a fear of jumping in a workout until yesterday. My legs were burning like CRAZY. Ouch ouch ouch this really hurt. I was pretty exhausted from the weekend/my ridiculous train ride from MD this AM. So need to consider that as a factor. Need to get to bed earlier this week.
Cashout: solo bear hug carry w/ 80# sandbag for 400M
Arturo R. says
1. Rope climb practice
2. 3-4 intervals
@85% somewhat hard effort
6 thrusters, AHAP/unbroken
8 box jump overs, AFAP
rest 6-12 min
Kate Tk says
"I want meaty abs" lolol i <3 crossfit
Loved today's class! (Duh…SDZ <3 NFT 4EVA)
Did the lunges at 95, kinda wish I had gone for 100 since 6 really isn't bad at all. I think I will still be sore tomorrow though!
NFT work was right in my wheelhouse. Dips are my favorite!
Lunges: 120 x 6 x 3
4 NFT Rounds
15 sec hold at the top
400 yog – soft j
Some general futzing around after with HSPUs, v-ups, and single are overhead carries.
8am with Jess
2 sets at 105
1 set at 115
Left side is improving, but still a bit unstable.
Did 3 rounds
3 Dips on the matador
10-15 sec hold on the rings
30 DU Attempts
DUs are still a work in progress for me. Mostly did attempts and singles throughout the workout (Had a times of doing 2-4 unbroken).
Dan G. says
Lunges: 155 x 6 x 3. Heavy for my right leg, quite easy for my left. Each set got better though.
NFT: 2.5 rounds then had to leave early.
Make up posts:
5/13 Strongfit – up to 255 Jefferson DL, 160# sandbag C+J
5/14 Snatch complex up to 157#, WOD in 9:04 – so many situps
5/15 Push press 155x6x2, 165×6, WOD in 8:37 with 21, 9/6, 9 snatches, WB unbroken, PU doubles.
i'm going to miss this place 🙁
Rob F says
Just wanted to thank Coach Whit for an awesome an informative Crossover Symmetry workshop last night. I'm sure you had enough information left to push it to 2 hours. 🙂
Sarah C says
Short circuit crushes me every. single. week. It's such an amazing class and I'm glad I've started coming….all this strengthening, and quick fast circuits are amazing. Thanks Brett!!
After short circuit did a little extra conditioning/gymnastics. I decided every day for the next three months is going to have some kind of gymnastic component in it. Scaling back on the heavy weightlifting and getting my gymnastic skills better.
4 rounds not for time
10 HSPU (unbroken accept the first round)
1 minute rest
got my heart rate pumping and made me breath hard. Exactly what I wanted….Now I'm going to eat four meals when I get home…I'm tired from these past three days of working out. AG on Sunday left me tired and sore this week too!! GGAAAHHH
Jenny M says
7:30 with Brett
Push press: 83x6x3
This felt good! No grindy reps.
Wod in 9:35
Kate Tk says
6:30 with Whit doing Monday
Push press: 75 x 6, 80 x 6, 85 x 6
Felt good, no pain.
WOD in 7:17 subbed green KB swings, 14/9 wall balls, ring rows.
Arms were very shaky by the end. Probably should have added reps though to make up for the missed snatches.
WOD: Rx'd in 9:51
Snatches: 7-7-7, 5-5-5, 6-3
WBs: 7-7-7, 5-5-5, 9 no repped myself on about 4-5 wall balls. bummer.
Pullups: 7-7-7, 8-7, 5-4?
Was hoping to do larger sets of pullups since I broke up the snatches a lot but forearms were too fried.
Allie B says
Lunges at 100x6x3
Wod: 6 or 7 rounds, focusing on my muscle-ups. Did jumping muscle up with slow negatives. Had a lot of positive feedback about the negative— why can't I do it in the opposite direction!? >:(
Ag: rope climb fun, then another exciting training conditioning portion.
8 Box jump overs
85% of Fran workout level
1) 2:05 at 73#
2) 2:00 at 78#
3) 1:56 at 83#
Goal was to stay consistent between 2-3 minutes. Definitely was pushing towards 95% towards the end… hard to know what 85% actually is!! Love this stuff though. I am getting better at crossfit because if it, I'm 100% positive.
Whit H says
took an extra full day off training yesterday. embracing the deload.
quick session today:
1.7 mile run to gym with penny, with 5 minute break to rescue a lost dog who was crossing the street by itself :-/
5 min hip prep: clamshells, alpha ball glute/piriformis, adductor mobz, etc.
HBBS: 45×8, 95×6, 125×4
-other than the fact that i really just have two shockingly different legs/hips… this was fine. every time i video my squat from straight on or behind i cringe. but i think i'm in a good stance for what i've got.
-tension and tempo are much better. challenging weight for 4×10, but fine. 65%. ready to bump up to heavier ranges, 75-80%.
some hip lifts/drops, deficit rvrs lunges, and hip airplanes all on left side to finish it out. more tmw!