Here’s Part 1 of Mat Fraser: Making a Champion, a fascinating look at how an elite CrossFit athlete lives and trains. Part 2 and Part 3 are also up on YouTube!
This Week at CFSBK in Review
1. Sign ups for Murph Day 2017 are now open! See the event page for more details. This is a great community event where we perform this classic CrossFit benchmark workout followed by some grilling, side dishes, and beers. The workout is tough—very tough—but it can, of course, be scaled to meet everyone’s capacity. What’re waitin’ for? Sign up today!
2. Starting May 14th, we’ll be adding new Short Circuit and Fit 55+ classes to our schedule. Who doesn’t love more fitness? All the details can be found in Tuesday’s post.
3. Here’s CFSBK OG Bethany E. at the South Brooklyn Weightlifting Club Spring Classic, where she placed 3rd in the 57kg weight class, PR’d her Deadlift at 296lbs, and scored a total of 628lbs. Congrats, Bethany!
4. On Wednesday, we got to know Kirby S. a little better. She had some great advice for new CFSBKers: “Sign up for stuff! I’m SO not a joiner by nature, nor am I an especially competitive person, but being part of the CFSBK community has helped me come out of my shell and say ‘yes’ more often…which is a highly transferrable life skill. There are so many ways to participate beyond simply coming to class, and it’s really fun to feel like a part of something. And you can take it as seriously as you want! The LFPB Challenge, Fight Gone Bad, the Open… do it!” You heard the woman: sign up for Murph Day!
5. We’ve accumulated approximately 3,000 pairs of unclaimed weightlifting shoes that were left at the gym over the past year. Please take a look here, here, here, and here. Let the front desk know if any of them belong to you!
6. This Sunday’s 11am Active Recovery class is cancelled. Still want to do something other than group class this weekend? Don’t forget about Saturday’s 10am Yoga for Athletes and 11am Active Recovery classes, as well as Sunday’s 2pm Anti-Gravity class.
Yesterday’s Whiteboard: Clean and Jerk | Box Jumps, C2B Pull-Ups, KB Swings
To Make Better Decisions, Ask Yourself “What,” Not “Why” NY Mag
What I Wish I Knew When I Started Athlete Daily
David Osorio says
Back Squat / Front Squat
Tempo BSQ (41×1)
2 x 10
Tempo FSQ (41×1)
1 x 10
Heavier than last week or find a good starting weight. The last few reps of each set should be tough but the goal is no misses. Be true to the tempo work. This may mean eating some humble pie, starting with light weights, and trusting that it doesn’t have to be “heavy” to be effective.
Post loads to comments.
AMRAP 15 Minutes:
15 Power Cleans 115/75
The barbell should be on the light side. Scale the dubs to 60 singles or 15 attempts as needed.
Post rounds, reps, and Rx to comments.
I had this whole plan that I was going to bail on clean day (I was really freakin' wrecked from lunges + AG sled pushes), squat today, and do Short Circuit tomorrow. But yesterday's workout looked friendly enough that I decided to do it today and I'm really glad I did.
The high pull work is awesome. I'm still not a good Oly lifter by any means but the high pull work on both the snatches and the cleans is really helping me to correct my issues with letting the bar drift away from me. (Which means I can now focus on the issue of dropping under the bar fast enough!)
I hit 123 after failing my first attempt. That's a PR for me, whuuuuut?
Did the EMOM work with regular kipping pullups, which were sometimes there and sometimes not. Murph is gonna SUCK. I did love the high box jumps though.
Tomorrow's WOD didn't seem THAT bad when I read it on the blog this morning, but after hearing the reviews from the 7 AM crew who did it today…I'm skeered.
Tempo HBBS: 140 x 10 x 2
Tempo FSQ: 105 x 10 x 2
Still long suffering, but not quite as painful as last week.
WOD: 6 rounds + 17 DUs Rx.
Burpees happened. Stuck with 6-5-4 throughout for the power cleans. DUs in two purposeful sets to try to keep my heart rate down, plus some bonus trips. All about pacing with this one.
Whit H says
A. DB Shoulder Ex Rot: 3×10 @ 30×1 @ 10#
(4 sets R: 10-10-8-6. L 3×10)
B1. DB Press
B2. SA DB High Pull
20x8ea *nerve pain in R thumb on way down
B3. SA Ring Row: 3×8 ea
C. EMOM x 15
min 1: 6 box jumps @ 24"
min 2: 3 strict pull-up + 3-4 butterfly pulp
min 3: 130m Run
*done wearing 14# vest… MURPH IS COMING!
A. Short Circuit Strength Circuit, 4x:
8ea single leg RDL @ 16kg
8 bicep curl @ 31×1 (15#, 17.5#x3)
8 ring hip ext with shoulder flexion
100' SA OH Carry: 40#, 50# x3
B. BTN Press @ 30×1: 33×8, 53×5, 63x5x4
HBBS @ 41×1
(45×6, 95×4, 125×3, 145×1)
FSQ @ 41×1
D. Sustainable pace…
a. 10 min
7 TTB unbroken
15 DU unbroken
rest 2 min
b. 10 min
8 cal bike
100' sandbag carry 80#
12 hip extensions
rest 4 min
c. 10 min
4 alternating L-sit rope pull-ups
100' FC @ 24kg each hand
:20 top ring support
a. 8 rounds + 11 reps
b. 4 rounds
c. 4 rounds + 4 reps
10 min cool down… brettzel stretches, adductors. walk in pouring rain.
Dan L says
HBBS – 185x10x2
FSQ – 155×10
Felt better than last week. Ready to go up a bit next week.
Metcon – 6 rounds plus 9 burpees. Didn't feel like I had a lot in the tank today. Moved pretty consistently though
Allie B says
Had an amazing epiphany at soul cycle tonight.
During some sprint sections with high resistance on the bike, I felt that same lactate burn on my legs that I felt from sled sprints. I realized that whenever it burns that much, I turn the resistance down.Today, I pushed through that burn and LOVED IT! Just kept thinking how it would help me get better at pushing the sled. It felt so similarly it was amazing!!! I also kind of collapsed onto the bike when it was done which has *never* happened at soul cycle after a sprint. I actually sprinted!!! : X
I can't make strongfit or group class, because I have drama club 9-1 tomorrow. Otherwise, you bet I'd be at strongfit!
Just wanted to share. Who would've guessed SOULCYCLE might make one better at strongfit. Lol!! Maybe Fox and McDowell should come along with Toni, Katie E, Sarah and I. (Jill and Megan, too!) Haha!