- Want to try something other than group class today? Check out Active Recovery at 6:30pm, Pilates with KH at 7:30pm, or AntiGravity at 7:30pm.
- SCHEDULE UPDATES: Open Gym is CANCELLED this Sunday night.
The 2016 Look Feel Perform Better Challenge Info Session and Q&A Meeting Is This Wednesday at 6:30pm
It’s that time of year again… New Year’s Resolution time. While we believe it’s best to make choices in accordance with your goals and values all of (or at least most of) the time, we recognize that many of us use markers like the beginning of the year to kick-start positive changes.
Who? The entire CrossFit South Brooklyn Community.
What? A 12-week challenge meant as a collective kick-start toward healthier nutrition and recovery habits.
Where? Right where you are. You’re encouraged to organize “rest day dinners” either in your homes or out at restaurants with fellow participants. There will be twice monthly (non-mandatory, but helpful) LFPB Challenge Meet-Ups at the gym in addition to the online forums that you can look to for daily support. The key to success is not sweeping immediate change but rather consistent practice each day.
When? The Info Session and Q&A is this Wednesday 12/16 at 6:30pm in the Annex, where Kettlebell Kitchen will be serving free food! Here we’ll further outline the Challenge and answer any questions you have. The dates of the Challenge are from Saturday 1/2/16 through Saturday 3/26/16. We’ll also be hosting a Community Potluck Dinner on 1/23/16 where you can meet and greet with fellow SBKers and sample some delicious ways they keep on track with their food choices.
Seeking New Managing Editor for Your Favorite Blog
CFSBK Managing Editor Kate R. is heading back to Montana for five months starting in the middle of January and we are considering filling her position with a new editor. We will only fill the position if we find the right person. Maybe that person is you!
We’ve had several people tell us they joined CFSBK because they loved our blog and the kind of community and professionalism it reflects. Maintaining a popular blog has been a huge priority for us since the beginning, and we’ve been posting daily content since Day One. The blog is the primary means by which people get information about our gym.
On top of managing content on the blog, the Managing Editor maintains a consistent style guide for all our written materials, solicits and edits articles from our coaching staff, and writes interviews with community members and staff. It’s important that the Editor is an active member of the community.
- Part-time, between 7-10 hours a week. Compensation will be commensurate with experience, and includes a comped membership.
- Posting daily blog posts before midnight according to the blog’s Style Guide, with an accompanying photo from our Flickr account.
- Posting and maintaining event and program pages (and all other pages).
- Posting and maintaining schedule changes on the Class Schedule page, and staying on top of last-minute changes and closures.
- Managing the gym’s Flickr account and ensuring photography needs are taken care of for relevant events.
- Daily communication with Coach David, and occasional check-in meetings.
- Self-directed, independent working style, with willingness to take initiative in getting the necessary information for daily posts and events.
- Strong writing and editing skills, and attention to formatting style guidelines.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to quickly and frequently assimilate a large amount of information.
- Familiarity with Squarespace or proven ability to quickly learn a new CMS.
- Staying on top of 10-25 emails a day and responding in a professional manner within 24-48 hours to most correspondence. Regular correspondence with Coach Fox regarding programming and other coaches regarding selling out our various programs.
- Staying on top of all gym events and corresponding with our Events Coordinator. Promoting events in a clear, creative manner.
- Weekly maintenance of various forums and ability to repurpose material for daily blog posts (including Travel Gym Recommendations and CFSBK Classifieds).
- Willingness to take initiative in creating new blog material, including soliciting articles from coaches and interviewing members of the community.
- Willingness to acquire a strong historical knowledge of CFSBK through researching past posts.
- Enthusiasm for the CrossFit community in general and the CFSBK community in particular. Clear understanding of CFSBK’s ethos.
- Video and photography skills a plus, but not required.
Email both Coach David (David [at] CrossFitSouthBrooklyn.com) and Kate (Katharine [at] CrossFitSouthBrooklyn.com) with “Managing Editor” in the subject line. Include a brief cover letter and your resume, along with three suggested article/interview or creative blog material ideas. Please include any relevant clips too.
We will accept applications through December 20th, and will start interviewing potential candidates at the end of this month and beginning of January.
The key requirement for this position is loving the gym and CrossFit. To that end, we are only hiring from within the CFSBK community.