News and Notes
- Happy birthday, Thomas H.!
- SCHEDULE UPDATES: Active Recovery is cancelled tomorrow (10/25). Check out Yoga for Athletes with Coach Whitney at 10am instead!
- Threes Brewing, our post-Fight Gone Bad host, is having an event tomorrow from 2pm to midnight, with a food vendor from 4-9pm and some music. Follow them on Instagram to learn more, spread the word and come hang!
- Reminder: Construction is being done on the two downstairs bathrooms from 7am – 6pm over the next two weeks, and only one will be available at all times. Some work is also being done to a couple pull-up bars. You can use the bathroom upstairs (on the way to the annex). We apologize for any inconvenience, but we promise we’ll be prettier by the end!
- Gina G. is leaving us to pursue her dreams in Austin, TX, and tonight is her last night in town! She’s hanging out at Double Windsor in Park Slope and would love for you to join her, from 7pm onwards. 210 Prospect Park West at 16th street!
These 3 Programs Start in the Next Week! What Are You Waiting For?
1. CFSBK Olympic Lifting Program with Coach Frankie Murray
If we don’t get enough people to sign up for both of these options, we won’t be able to run the cycles! Spread the word, and don’t delay!
Here’s a testimonial from Front Desk and Social Media Strong Man Matt K.:
“Frank helped me work on all the tiny nagging issues with my snatch and clean and jerk, showing me how to overcome all the issues I’ve had for years. I look at Olympic lifting in a completely different way now, and I’ve already seen Frank’s coaching make my lift more efficient during WODs. Sign up for this class, you won’t regret it.”
What: An 8-week Olympic lifting cycle meeting twice a week with Coach Frank Murray and/or Heather Farmer in addition to 2 Open Gym or group class per week.
When: Tuesdays and Thursdays 10:30am to 12:00pm from 10/28/14-12/18/14 or Mondays and Wednesdays 8:30pm to 10:00pm from 10/27/14-12/17/14. (see full details below)
Price: $300 per 4 weeks, first bill due at sign-up and second bill charged automatically to the card on-file 4 weeks later.
Tuesdays and Thursdays 10:30am to 12:00pm from 10/28/14-12/18/14
Mondays and Wednesdays 8:30pm to 10:00pm from 10/27/14-12/17/14
Learn more here.
2. Strength Cycle with Coach Jeremy
We all want to get stronger. That’s because we implicitly understand that building strength is the foundation for increasing overall physical capacity. It has been proven again and again that lifting heavy primes our bodies to be more effective and efficient at metabolic conditioning workouts. Strength is the only mode of training that supports everything else we do in the gym and in life. Plus: it’s pretty badass.
We are offering five 8-week strength programs that will involve the following:
* Small group training designed to increase your competency with the lifts.
* Consistent and repeated exposure to the powerlifts along a linear progression of weight
* Short and intense complementary conditioning workouts.
* Group discussions on lifting topics including: planning warm-ups, the mental aspect of lifting, and elements of the adaptive response to strength training.
* New PRs.
The A, C, and D cycles are FULL.
Each cycle will culminate in a CrossFit Total on Sunday, December 21th.
Class Sizes: Space is limited to 4-8 participants
Class Length: 90 minutes
3x Per Week Cycles:
$300 paid upon registration and then another $300 at the halfway point
$200 paid upon registration and then another $200 at the halfway point
If anyone is confused as to which cycle they belong in or has any questions, they can contact Jeremy directly at Jeremy [at] crossfitsouthbrooklyn.com to discuss placement.
3. CFSBK Endurance Program with Coach Mike O.
What: An 8-Week intensive program based in the form and endurance needs for CrossFit Runners
When: Thursdays at 7pm and Saturdays at 11am, starting October 30th
Where: Determined each week between Prospect Park or Red Hook Track
Schedule and Pricing: $175 full-access to the 8-week program (including bi-weekly coached group sessions, benchmarking, training data, and full plan support and guidance)
What to Expect: This will be 8 Weeks of 2x/a week Running, Drill Work, and the basic biomotor requirements to become a more fluid runner and increase your endurance relative to Crossfit training. We will work on everything from basic balance and stability, to some run-specific single leg plyo training, and power production specific for the needs of a strong athlete. This program will NOT be a Half-Marathon or Marathon Training program, but it will enhance your ability to absorb any program like that, or simply to increase your metabolic energy systems to help you absorb higher and more intense work loads in your training
Program begins on Thursday October 30th, 2014. Due to the progressive nature of the program, athletes will not be permitted to join after November 6th, 2014.
10 Things You Should Never Do in the Box… No Neon No Rep
The Most Famous Sitcom Residences In New York City Scouting New York
10 Signs You’re Overtraining Box Life Magazine
This Is the Average Man’s Body The Atlantic