Here you can find some updates regarding our reopening plan and policies. Reopening will be a moving target until we know a specific timeline and guidelines from the city and state but we’ll keep you updated along the way.
We’ve been hard at work cleaning out the gym, painting, moving equipment around and planning for our eventual reopening. The city has gyms in phase 4 for reopening which puts us at roughly 5-6 weeks away from opening our doors, assuming covid cases don’t spike. On top of all the stress and details related to reopening, as you all know we’ve been dealing with the self-inflicted damage related to (now former) CrossFit CEO and founder Greg Glassman’s comments regarding George Floyd and Covid-19. The history of problematic leadership at CrossFit HQ is a long and complicated one and as a result of this we’ve decided to step away from the company, rebranding ourselves as “Community Fitness South Brooklyn”. This was not an easy decision given all we owe to the methodology and community at large that has given us so much, however, values and actions are more important than 8 letters associated with our name and now more than ever it’s important to be on the right side of history. We unequivocally believe that black lives matter and changing our name is only one step in the direction of making our gym even more equitable and accessible for more people. Creating sustaining and benefactor rates, partnering with local organizations, changing elements of how we program and the kinds of events we run in the future will further demonstrate our commitment to more equitable access to our program and highlight our values of inclusivity and our commitment to progressive politics. We’re hard at work putting all the details together and are excited to be rolling out some of our plans in the coming days and weeks. We appreciate everyone’s support, understanding and patience as continue to operate primarily online and know that we want nothing more than to safely open our gym for our community.
As we prep the gym for our eventual reopening we’re asking members to come pick up all their shoes, belts, logbooks, and other items left at the gym. We’ll host 3 one-hour pickup windows starting this Tuesday.
If you can’t come in to get your stuff email us at firstname.lastname@example.org before next Friday, June 5th. We will be donating or discarding EVERYTHING left behind!
- For those of you who have been purchasing virtual class drop-ins, we now are offering a 10 class punch card for virtual classes so that folks dont need to purchase a new class every time they want to participate.
- A reminder that anyone who is experiencing financial hardship which prevents them from being able to pay our posted rates should contact us to work something out, we don’t want to leave anyone behind and know you especially need community and fitness.
- Programs & Classes we have confirmed that we will not immediately relaunch with are: Diapers & Dumbbells, Foundations, Strong Fit, Next Level Weightlifting Club, Free Intro Class and CrossFit Kids programs. Stay tuned regarding other programs.
- Virtual classes will continue to be available as demand warrants them beyond when we are able to reopen. These will be available for members at a discounted virtual only membership rate or as a free add on to your normal membership.
- All equipment will need to be returned to the gym the week prior to us being able to open our doors. If you plan on continuing virtual classes, we recommend you invest in 1-2 dumbbells. We recommend hexagonal dumbbells. These are currently in high demand, so you’ll have to keep your eyes open and shop around for when they become available. This style of dumbbell is usually pretty robust, regardless of brand.