The 2019 Look, Feel, Perform Better Challenge
It’s that time of year again: New Year’s resolution time. While we believe it’s best to make choices in accordance with your goals and values all of (or at least most of) the time, we recognize that many of us use markers like the beginning of the year to kickstart positive changes. This year’s Challenge will follow a similar model to last year. There are 2 levels that you can choose to participate on in the Challenge. On Level 1, you’ll focus primarily on food quality and eating from a large spectrum of whole foods (lean proteins, veggies and fruits, whole grains, and legumes). This is a perfect place to start if you’re new to healthy eating or are having to re-learn what that means for you. On Level 2. you’ll be tracking macronutrients and focusing on eating particular quantities of them, adjusting along the way as necessary. As we’ve done for a few years now, we’re following a 12-week format. The reason behind this is that while extreme short-term actions can bring rapid results, we’ve often seen this result in a “crash” where the individual rebels against the limiting factors of an extreme dietary challenge. We’d rather you have more inclusive food options and change a few manageable things over a longer period than change many things for 6 weeks only to get lost in a haze of bagels, beer, and chocolate cake once the Challenge ends.
The entire CrossFit South Brooklyn community.
A 12 week challenge meant as a collective kickstart toward healthier nutrition and recovery habits.
Right where you are! Participants are encouraged to organize “rest day dinners” either in your homes or out at restaurants with fellow LFPBers. There will be twice monthly (non-mandatory, but helpful) LFPB Challenge Meet Ups at the gym in addition to weekly email “high fives” from us. The key to success is not sweeping immediate change but rather consistent practice each day, so consider scheduling some time to set aside each day to work towards your goals
There is an Info Session and Q&A on Saturday, December 15th at 9am in the Annex. Here we’ll answer any questions you have. The dates of the challenge are from Tuesday, January 1st 2019 through Sunday, March 24th 2019. We’ll also be hosting a potluck dinner at the gym on Saturday 2/9/19 where you can meet and greet with fellow SBKers and sample some delicious ways they keep on track with food choices.
What will I need?
For Level 1, only a desire to begin to make informed and better food choices. For Level 2, you’ll need a food scale and a set of measuring cups and measuring spoons since you’ll be measuring out servings of lean protein, clean carbs, veggies, and fats. Whichever level you choose, you should plan to do a bit of food shopping and prep beginning the first week to make good food choices easy.
Most people will get great results and remain more sane on Level 1. Eating precisely by weighing and measuring foods works great, IF you’re the type of personality that doesn’t obsess over food choices. If you’re not sure which way to go, choose Level 1.
To look, feel, and perform better! And, for some sweet prizes!
Wait, did you say prizes?
Yes! The grand prize for both the men’s and women’s category is one month of FREE unlimited training at CFSBK, a $250+ value! There are also 2nd and 3rd place prizes for the men’s and women’s categories including a punch card or free specialty classes at CFSBK and a personal training session!
Alright, you’re in? Great!
How To Participate
Complete the following steps by Sunday, January 6th in order to participate and be eligible for prizes:
- Sign your name on the big list in the community area of the gym.
- Sign up at front desk or the CFSBK Online Store. This is a 3-month program, paid in 3 installments of $30. The first payment will be charged at registration, with the following 2 payments automatically charged each month thereafter. ($90 total plus NY sales tax)
- Answer a few brief questions and submit your “before” photos according to the guidelines on the Look, Feel, Perform Better website. These entries are private will not be published or seen by anyone other than us without your consent. You can access the 2019 LFPB Challenge Entry Form HERE.
- Perform the Capacity Test WOD and record your results.
- Track points earned daily on the spreadsheet based on how well you’re complying with the guidelines.
- Complete your Post-Challenge submission by March 29th, at the end of the Challenge
- Participate in bi-monthly Virtual Classroom Sessions on Facebook Live. Each session will include a brief topical lecture followed by Q&A. They’ll be Mondays from 1:10pm until about 1:40pm on the following dates (subject to change): 1/7, 1/21, 2/4, 2/18, 3/4, 3/18.