CFSBK is very proud to announce that we are expanding our coaching staff with the addition of the one and only Brett Ferguson! Brett came to CFSBK in 2014 from a personal training and bodybuilding background. He and David instantly hit it off, and after a couple months of training at the gym, they began to talk about Brett joining our coaching staff. Brett has spent the last several months working for a software company in San Francisco, helping to open a running store in Ohio, and traveling around Europe, the United Kingdom, and Iceland. Now that he is back in Brooklyn full time, expect to see him around the gym and in classes. We've very excited to have him join our professional family and to have him back in the CFSBK community. Let's give Brett a warm welcome in the comments!
ROAD TO GYMNASTICS CLINICS with Coach Whit
What is it?
A series of three clinics to improve body awareness and control, take gymnastics movements to the next level, and learn progressions for advanced skills that you can practice on your own.
We’ll run two concurrent series of clinics. Choose which you want to attend, Wednesday OR Saturday:
Wednesday Sep 14 at 7:30PM or Saturday Sep 17 at 9AM: Pull-Ups and TTB
Wednesday Sep 21 at 7:30PM or Saturday Sep 24 at 9AM: Ring Skills
Wednesday Sep 28 at 7:30PM or Saturday Oct 1 at 9AM: Handstand Push-Ups and Inversions
$25 per clinic! You’ll get the most out of this series by doing all three, as they’ll build upon each other. Each clinic is limited to 9 people.
How is this different than Anti-Gravity?
AG classes are designed as a complete workout with a warm-up, skill and strength work followed by some gymnastics biased conditioning. The “Road To” clinics are hour long clinics focused on dissecting one to two movements to help your understanding and development of that skill. Classes will meet in the Annex so space is limited!
Ok, cool. Can I go to group class beforehand?
While you are a human being with free will, it is strongly suggested that you do NOT do CrossFit before this class. Gymnastic movements have a high neurological component and require a lot of coordination, balance, agility, and accuracy, while also improving those skills. These things are simply better learned and practiced when you are fresh. Feel free to workout afterward if you’ve got it in you!
Are there buy-ins or prerequisites?
No, but we do recommend you have been attending group class for about 3-6 months before signing up for this series. We will provide progressions for a variety of levels.
What will we work on?
The Pull-Ups/Toes-to-Bar Clinic will involve a lot of hollow/arch drills, strict, and kipping work for both movements. We will focus on lat engagement and how to develop better gymnastics positions across the board. Please note we will not be working on Butterfly Pull-Ups in this hour.
The Ring Skills Clinic will work on ring support/stability, “I’s/T’s/Y’s”, ring push-ups/dips, and Muscle Up progressions.
The HSPU / Inversions Clinic work will teach you more techniques for getting comfortable upside-down. We’ll work in groups and partners a lot to take our inversions away from the wall!
You can never have too much strength or too much skill. This will put you on the road to both! Sold? So what are you waiting for...
This Week at CFSBK in Review
1. Underneath the Hoodie returned this week with a profile of Coach JB! Spoiler alert: she's a wonderful person with a great story, and she's still relatively small.
2. As a Labor Day treat, we reposted a classic CFSBK article, Coach Fox's "Developing Your Pull-Up." Whether you're an advanced CrossFitter, just getting started, or coming back from an injury, it's a nice reminder that CrossFit gives us a space to do things we couldn't do before, as long as we put the work in.
3. Today is the very last day to register for FIGHT GONE BAD 2016. It's one of our funnest events of the year, and you don't want to miss out! The workout is nuts, yes, but it's the good kind of nuts, and you get to do it with awesome teammates with whom you'll raise money for a great cause (Brooklyn Community Foundation). Most importantly, you get to do it with the whole CFSBK community. Go here to register!
4. The third-annual CFSBK Art Show will return this November, and we want you to submit your work. Head over to the event page for more info. Even if you're not submitting, don't forget to save the date!
5. Coach Melissa penned a very interesting article on her experience of CrossFitting at 30 weeks pregnant. Even if you're not planning on pregnant CrossFitting any time soon, it's a wonderful insight into what "infinitely scalable" means and why CrossFit is for everyone!
Yesterday's Whiteboard: Clean and Jerk | Power Cleans, Box Jumps, Row
9 Bizarre Schools That We Promise Actually Exist Atlas Obscura
Weird But True: Caffeine Can Make You a Better Athlete Vox